Dental prostheses have significantly changed over the past few years. Not only have the materials used to produce them changed, prostheses are now available in a wide range of options. Implantology has played a key role in offering alternatives to help patients maintain optimal oral health. Bar-retained prostheses are a perfect example.
Removable implant-supported prostheses
This type of prosthesis is used to replace the teeth on one or both dental arches. Made up of a titanium retaining bar that is permanently secured to the implants, the prosthesis is anchored to the bar using ties. This way, despite being removable, your replacement teeth will remain solidly in place.
There are many types of retaining bars and anchors. Your situation will be carefully assessed so that the best restoration option is selected for your needs.
Advantages of removable implant-supported prostheses:
- Minimize direct pressure on gums while slowing down bone resorption
- Increase the stability of dentures
- The retaining bar is unnoticeable
- Significantly improve chewing
- Ease of use thanks to their removability
- Help facilitate oral hygiene
- If a prosthesis breaks, it can be replaced
Implants are also a good option for patients who wear removable full dentures as they secure the dentures in place, preventing any discomforts caused by the dentures’ movement such as injuries, difficulty chewing, pain, foods stuck under the dentures, etc.
Indeed, this option has all the advantages of permanent implant-support prostheses:
- Improves the structure of the face and one’s smile
- Minimizes premature ageing by maintaining facial muscles
- Improves confidence and self-esteem
- Improves speech
- Contributes to good oral, psychological and overall health
Caring for removable dental prostheses
Removable dental prostheses require basic care, such as regular brushing. When it isn’t being worn, the prosthesis should be placed in water or a special cleaning solution. And don’t forget to bring your prosthesis with you to your regular check-up—it has to be checked to ensure it’s in good condition and working properly.